Professor Emeritus – Université de Bordeaux
Born : January 16th, 1940
Married – 2 children
Citizenship : French
EDUCATION (University of Bordeaux 1 – Sciences and Technologies)
- Graduated in Physical and Chemical Sciences, University degree, 1963
- Ph.D. « 3 rd Cycle » Structural Physical Chemistry, 1966
- Ph.D. in Physical Sciences, 1970
ACADEMIC POSITIONS ( University of Bordeaux 1)
- Lecturer, October 1973
- Professor, January 1977
- Full Professor, January 1981
Main fields of research : Solid State Chemistry and Materials Sciences
- Boron and boride chemistry (synthesis and study of the physical properties)
- Rare-earth and actinide-based intermetallic compounds (synthesis and study of the physical properties)
- Conventional and high Tc superconductors (synthesis and study of the physical properties)
- Materials chemistry in supercritical fluid media.
Main keywords : actinides, borides, boron, borocarbides, germanides, heavy fermion, intermetallics, magnetism, magnetic semiconductors, intermediate and mixed valence compounds, oxydes, oxynitrides, rare earths, silicides, stannides, superconductivity, …
PAPERS : 360 published in many international journals
PATENTS : 6
SEMINARS, COMMUNICATIONS and INVITED LECTURES : 295 , 50 of which are invited lectures
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Director of the CNRS Solid State Chemistry Laboratory (1986-1995)
- Founder in 1995 and Director of the Institute of Condensed Matter Chemistry of Bordeaux ICMCB/CNRS (1995-2003)
Permanent members : 116 ; Non-permanent members : 143
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL AND HONORARY SOCIETIES
- Honorary member of the Materials Research Society of India (1994)
- Fellow of the The Royal Society of Chemistry (UK) (1997)
- Member of the European Academy of Sciences (2003)
- Corresponding Member of the Royal Academy of Science and Arts of Barcelona (2006)
MEMBERSHIPS OF NATIONAL COMMITTEES FOR THE RESEARCH AND THE NATIONAL EDUCATION
- Elected Member of the French National Committee for the Research (1986-1994), (Chemistry of Materials, Metallurgy and Radiochemistry)
- Elected Member and President of the French National Committee of the Universities 1995-1999, (Chemistry of Materials, Metallurgy, Polymers)
- Elected Member and President of the French National Committee for the Research (Solid State Chemistry, Materials Chemistry and Metallurgy) (2000-2004)
- Nominated Member of the French Materials Coordination Committee, French Ministry of Research (COCOMAT) (2000)
- Nominated Member of the High Council of Research and Technology, French Ministry of Research “Conseil Supérieur de la Recherche et de la Technologie” (2002-2004)
- Nominated Member of the High Council of Research and Technology, French Ministry of Research “Conseil Supérieur de la Recherche et de la Technologie” (2005- 2008)
- Nominated Member and President of the Scientific Council (Chemistry Section) of the National Research Agency (ANR) – 2005-2007
- Member of the Board of Directors of the AESE Aquitaine-Midi Pyrénées Comptetion Cluster, as CNRS representative (2006).
MEMBERSHIPS OF INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY COUNCIL COMMITTEES
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Council of the National Institute for Research in Inorganic Materials (NIRIM), Tsukuba – Japan (1997 – 2002)
- Member of the Scientifiq Advisory Council of the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Tsukuba – Japan (2002 2005). Renewed for another term (2006-2010)
- Nominated by the French Ministry of Research as a Member of the Scientific Council of the Indo-French Center for the Promotion of Advanced Research (IFCPAR) (2003)
- Nominated by the French Ministry of Research as a Member of the France-Japan Joint Advisory Council (CCC) (2004)
- Member of the European and International Policy Council of CNRS (2007) and again in 2010
- Member of the European Affairs Committee of the European Materials Research Society (2015)
- Reviewer of the University of Waterloo, Canada (Ontario) (2015-2016)
COORDINATOR OF A EUROPEAN NETWORK OF EXCELLENCE : FUNCTIONALISED ADVANCED MATERIALS AND ENGINEERING OF HYBRIDS AND CERAMICS (FAME) [Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, UK, Israel involving 15 institutions].
- Founder in 2008 and presently Director of the European Multifunctional Materials Institute (EMMI/AISBL) assembling 20 partners (Academic and Industry) from 7 countries (France, Germ any, Belgium, Portugal, UK, Spain, Luxemburg) and involving more than 300 researchers and 150 PhDs (2008)
CREATION OF THE FRENCH-INDIAN LABORATORY OF SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY (FICSLAB) -CO-CONVENORS (2002-2006)
- Professor J. ETOURNEAU (ICMCB-CNRS) –successors : Dr A.Maignan since 2009, Dr M.H. Delville since 2014.
- Professor K.J. RAO (SSCU – Indian Institute of Science – Bangalore)- successor Dr Ramasesha since 2009
- Associate Editor of « JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY » edited by « The Royal Society of Chemistry » (UK) (1994-2000).
- (Scientific Advisory Editor : Martin R. BRYCE, Univ. of Durham).
- Member of the International Advisory Editorial Board of « JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY » (2001-2006).
- International Advisory Editorial Board of « JOURNAL OF ALLOYS COMPOUNDS » since 1994 (Scientific Editor : K.H.J. BUSCHOW).
- Associate Editor of Journal « MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING (B) » (Elsevier Sequoia)
- (Editors : M. BALKANSKI (France), J. KAMINURA (Univ. Tokyo, Japon), S. MAHAJAN (Carnegie, Mellon Univ., Pittsburg, USA).
- International Advisory Editorial Board of « Bulletin of Materials Science » of Indian Science Academy since 1996 (Scientific Editor : K.J. RAO).
- International Advisory Editorial Board of « Bulletin of Korean Chemical Society » since 1997 (Scientific Editor : Kyung-Hoon Jung)
- International Advisory Editorial Board of « Journal of Inorganic Materials » (Elsevier Science) (Editors : D.A. PAYNE, M.A. SUBRAMANIAN)
- International advisory editorial board of « Solid State Sciences » (Elsevier Science) since 2001 (Editors : M.DRILLON)
- Dr Honoris Causa Unversity of Darmstadt (mars 2013)
- Chevalier dans l’Ordre National du Mérite (1987)
- Commandeur dans l’Ordre des Palmes Académiques (2009)
- Chevalier dans l’Ordre National de la Légion d’Honneur (2013)